Please Take The Time To Register On This Blog

It's the only way I will know who is reading it,
and the only way you can add your comments to any of the posts.
To add a comment, click on the post title (which, in this case, is the date).
This will open that post in a separate window.
At the bottom of the post, you can add your comments.
Thank you!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 19, 2010

I was soooooooooo tired last night.  I'm not sure I can attribute it to the chemo, though, since I'm at the end of my Chemo 2 cycle, and start Chemo 3 tomorrow.  I think it had everything to do with the wedding I did.  It wasn't quite as bad as weddings past, where I've been at the shop until midnight some nights.  No, I got all of things that I could lined up ahead of time.  After attending my BNI meeting from 7:00 - 9:00 AM, I ran home quick to pick something up, and discovered that the spring on our garage door broke.  I came back to open the shop and was able to get the curly willow base of the two altar arrangements all set up so adding the fresh flowers later would be quick, and I got the five bouquets assembled (except for their handle treatments) on Thursday (this between sales).  I left the shop at 5:00 PM that day, because I wanted to attend the Savvy Soiree at Rosie Posie in Prior Lake at 6:00 (to get a glimpse of what they're like, since we're hosting one on December 2).  Got home about 7:45 PM.

Friday was a busy day, because first I had to run out to two wholesalers in search of more white satin ribbon (which I had forgotten to secure long in advance as I should have).  The bride called to ask 1) would there be any orchid stems left they could use in a vase at the unity candle? (yes, two); 2) did they tell me they needed two small presentation bouquets for each of their parents? (No, but that was no problem; I'd use the green Fuji mums she had ooohhh'd over the last time she was in the shop); and 3) since the photographer wanted to start taking pictures at noon rather than 1:00, would it be possible to deliver the flowers an hour earlier? (I got a "You are so awesome" when I told her it would be no problem.)  I had to do 10 corsages and 15 boutonnieres that day, but Al was a big help when he got there at 4:30, bagging up corsages and boutonnieres and affixing their appropriate tags.  Then I made up the cake top flowers (four clusters on 2-1/2" wide ribbon squares), and finished all the bouquet handles with intricate pin-tucked ribbon secured with pearl pins.  But even so, we were only at the shop until about 7:30 PM.

Usually I can't sleep very well the night before a wedding, because I find myself waking up remembering details I had previously forgotten, and I stay semi-awake trying to keep those thoughts in my brain so they don't get forgotten again by the time I wake up.  This time I sat in front of the TV with a note pad in my lap, thinking through every detail and writing it down, so I would have a list to work from on the last morning.  That helped a lot.  I slept soundly.

I got up Saturday at 6 AM, had a quick breakfast and was at the shop by 6:30.  I finished the altar arrangements (I already had everything put together except the fresh flowers), made up the transport boxes for Al's delivery, wrapped up the orchid stems and the two presentation bouquets for the parents, and headed to the Cologne Community Center to put the cake flowers on the cake, which was supposed to be ready for me at 9:30 AM. Unfortunately, the cake baker was just delivering the cake (in sections) when I got there, so I had to wait for her to assemble the tiers, then trim each layer with silk ribbon.  Luckily, my job took less time than hers, so I was out of there before 10 AM, and opened the shop at 10:15 AM.  I had time to sweep up my mess and put all my tools and supplies away before Al came in to make the delivery; he headed out shortly after 11:00 AM.  (The wedding was in Chaska, so the flowers were delivered even earlier than promised.)


I didn't feel at all stressed over this wedding.  I had great notes, a plan which I followed, and a list of all the details I didn't want to forget.  I finished up ahead of time, so didn't have to scramble at the end.  Even so, by the time Al returned, my body and mind had crashed.  I suddenly realized I was exhausted.  OK, so maybe the chemo contributed a little, or maybe it was 2-1/2 days of very early mornings and late evenings, but I could hardly wait until 5:00 to close up and get home.  We had a very light snack for dinner (neither of us were particularly hunger, after Jimmy John's for lunch), and I might have fallen asleep during our evening movie, if it hadn't been The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I slept soundly, and didn't get up until 8:00 this morning, which felt good.  Even so, I'm still a little tired.  Glad it's a short day, and glad Marcia is coming with her acupuncture "house call" at 2:00 PM.  I could really use it about now.  Speaking of which, I'm beginning to think that her weekly treatments are what's helping me to get through the chemo so well thus far.  I'm turning into a real believer!

No comments:

Post a Comment