Please Take The Time To Register On This Blog

It's the only way I will know who is reading it,
and the only way you can add your comments to any of the posts.
To add a comment, click on the post title (which, in this case, is the date).
This will open that post in a separate window.
At the bottom of the post, you can add your comments.
Thank you!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We're more than half-way through radiation!  Had R-20 today; 13 more to go!

So far the only side-effect is a mild case of folliculitis (irritated hair follicles) that show as small red bumps and itch like fire from time to time.  1% Cortizone cream helps somewhat, but my best remedy is distractions.  If I'm not thinking about it, then it doesn't itch.

On the way back from radiation last Thursday, I was listening to MPR (as I do every morning on my way to and from radiation) and I heard an interview with a doctor who had recently written a book on cancer.  The book is called, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukheriee.  It sounded fascinating.  So that evening I got out my Nook (one of my many fabulous Christmas gifts), checked the price ($12.99) and downloaded a free sample.  It was so interesting -- while dealing with quite technical aspects of cancer and its treatments, it still manages to read like a who-done-it.  When I got to the end of the free sample, I had to buy the book!  It's quite long - about 650 pages - but I'm on about 250 right now.  I would highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment