Please Take The Time To Register On This Blog

It's the only way I will know who is reading it,
and the only way you can add your comments to any of the posts.
To add a comment, click on the post title (which, in this case, is the date).
This will open that post in a separate window.
At the bottom of the post, you can add your comments.
Thank you!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday, January 31, 2011 -- LAST DAY OF RADIATION!

Treatment is over!  Now I just take my daily dose of Tamoxifen, see my doctor every few months (appointment for March 7 is already on the books), get another mammogram in 6 months, and we see how this story progresses.

It was so great to have my last radiation treatment today.  Really, the entire staff made the experience a pleasant one, and in a way I will miss seeing them every day.  They all congratulated me so that I felt like I was graduating.  At my last consultation with Dr. Sperduto, his nurse, Mary, gave me a "Faith, Love and Hope ...." bracelet and a certificate, signed by all of them!  It was very sweet.

I am MOST happy about getting my mornings back again.  For the last six weeks I've had to plan around the hour and a half it took to drive to Waconia, wait for my treatment, undergo the treatment, sometimes see the doctor, and then drive back.  Tomorrow I plan to go grocery shopping in the morning, which is something its been difficult to do during the treatment regimen.

We have a bottle of champagne in the fridge (although it's a weekday, so we probably shouldn't have any tonight) and we're planning Sunday brunch at Santorini with our friends and neighbors, the Pumas.

In time, the burn spots on my neck and under my breast will finish peeling, and then heal.  Eventually, the pinkness of the rest of the area will fade.  And my hair will continue to grow.  And my nails will hopefully get back to normal.  And my feet should lose their numbness.  And then I'll probably forget I ever went through this.  I hope.

But we know, even more so now after reading The Emperor of All Maladies, that there are no guarantees with cancer.  Sometimes even when you think you're cured, this beast comes back.  But if that happens, we'll deal with it.  I'm reminded by a quote from Chuck Swindoll:

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment