Please Take The Time To Register On This Blog

It's the only way I will know who is reading it,
and the only way you can add your comments to any of the posts.
To add a comment, click on the post title (which, in this case, is the date).
This will open that post in a separate window.
At the bottom of the post, you can add your comments.
Thank you!

Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8, 2010

OK.  The taste buds are going now.  Chemotherapy isn't smart enough to only go after cancer cells - it targets any rapidly replicating cells, which includes blood cells (which is why I need a Neulasta shot after every treatment to help stimulate blood cell production), digestive cells (which is why some chemo patients suffer from gastro problems), hair cells (which is why we lose our hair), and mouth cells (some patients get canker-like sores in the mouth and lose taste buds).  Up until now everything has tasted the same, but recently I've noticed my taste buds going.  I guess it's primarily saltiness - which is a big factor in the taste of food.  Yesterday Al & I went to Arby's, and my regular roast beef tasted like foam rubber.  Thankfully, the potato cake(s) tasted just fine.  This morning I had my favorite breakfast sandwich from Casey's, and it just didn't taste right.  I've even noticed that our beloved filtered water tastes funny to me.  I've been assured that, once the chemo is over, these taste buds will return.

I had my 2009 tax consultation this morning with the wonderful Cathy Steigerwald of Carver Tax Service.  Yes, I said 2009.  We filed an extension again last April (vowing it would be our last), with the expectation that we would get the taxes done no later than August 31.  But then cancer entered my life, and that deadline escaped.  I pulled together everything I had (not perfectly organized, but at least all in the same place) and met with Cathy this morning.  She's so upbeat.  She made me feel like I was the most organized person in the world, and that this would be no big deal and we had plenty of time (a week?).  I left there with a list of the 4 things I still need to get to her, feeling like this is one more hurdle that we're going to get over soon.

Looking forward to a beautiful day today and a lovely weekend.  Saturday night Al & I will attend the MN State Florist Association President's Banquet, and Sunday the shop will be closed all day while I attend the MNSFA Convention seminars.  Both of these are up in Brooklyn Park.  I hate to close the shop for anything, but this is a great opportunity to meet with my wholesale reps, reacquaint myself with the many friends I've made in the local florist community, and learn new things to help our business survive and grow in this challenging economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment