Please Take The Time To Register On This Blog

It's the only way I will know who is reading it,
and the only way you can add your comments to any of the posts.
To add a comment, click on the post title (which, in this case, is the date).
This will open that post in a separate window.
At the bottom of the post, you can add your comments.
Thank you!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October 13, 2010

Still very minor effects from the chemo, thankfully.  A little tiredness from time to time; a little heartburn we're managing with food choices and Tums; some canker-like sores in the mouth and on the tongue.  But, really, I hope it's all doing a much better job on the cancer cells than it's doing on the rest of my body.

We had quite a phenomenal weekend.  The MN State Florist Association had its Annual Convention this past weekend, which I attended for the second year.  Saturday evening was their first Awards Banquet, inspired by our MNSFA President's participation in a number of other state florist association conventions over the past year.  Al attended the banquet with me, and was able to meet a few of my colleagues/friends in the industry, from fellow florists, wholesaler reps and instructors.

It was a very emotional and inspiring evening, as MNSFA honored Todd Bachman with a posthumus Lifetime Achievement Award (you may recall that Todd was senselessly killed during the Beijing Olympics).  His wife and daughters were there to accept the award which, from now on, will be called the Todd Bachman Lifetime Achievement Award.  We also watched as 10 Minnesota florists were recognized for achieving state certification, a new florist certification program just instituted this past year.  A number of other awards were given out.

Then we were both shocked and humbled as Carver Country Flowers & Gifts was named the 2010 Retailer of the Year by MNSFA.  Nationally recognized floral designer, friend and instructor Ardith Beveridge made the presentation, and she was visibly emotional as she delivered her script.  (As I listened, I kept thinking, "It sounds like she's talking about us - but she can't be!")  Then, after draping an orchid lei around my neck, and presenting me with the award, she announced to the audience that, in addition, I was "waging a valiant fight against cancer, and doing very well."  I got another round of applause.  (Thankfully, I elected to wear my wig that night, rather than a scarf or hat.  There were a number of photos taken!)  :)

Right now, as I write this, I have CNN on in the background, and I'm watching as each one of those Chilean miners is raised one by one (21 have come up so far), and they all appear to be well and fit, considering their ordeal.  I know that some of them had health problems already, prior to the mine collapse, and doubtless the ordeal will wreak some psychological and emotional challenges for them in the upcoming months and years.  But it is unbelievable to watch each one emerge from the rescue capsule and to watch how each one deals with the rescue differently (some pray, some shout, some just hug their family).  I pray that they will each have a bright future.

No comments:

Post a Comment